Posts for category: Cosmetic Dentistry
Are you thinking of getting dental implants?
There are several restorative procedures that can help rejuvenate and strengthen your smile, but dental implants are the best. If you're interested, Dr. Chris Haganman, Dr. Brad Stovie, and Dr. Shannon Hingst can provide dental implants in Cedar Rapids, IA.
More on Dental Implants:
Dental implants are one of many restorative procedures, like dentures and bridges. Dental implants consist of several parts:
- There's a titanium post that's inserted into the jawbone
- A screw that secures an abutment over the titanium post
- A crown matching the rest of your teeth is placed above the abutment
Dental Implant Procedure:
The titanium post is surgically inserted into your jaws to replace missing tooth root. It provides stability and strength, and prevents weakening and shrinkage of the jawbone. After inserting the titanium post, the dentist seals your gums and allows 3 to 6 months for osseointegration to occur, which the process of the post fusing to the rest of your jawbone. Afterwards, your dentist re-opens the area above the titanium post, inserts a screw, places an abutment above the screw and secure a crown on top that matches the rest of your teeth.
Dental Implant Care and Advantages:
- Like the rest of your teeth, make sure you brush your teeth at least twice a day and floss every day, at least once before bed.
- A change in diet is beneficial. Eating plenty of fruits and vegetables, and avoiding sugary foods to prevent the accumulation of plaque is good preventative care.
They have several advantages:
- They restore bite and chewing function.
- They fill gaps to give you a wider, fuller smile.
- They restore cracks, chips, or fractures one tooth, a few teeth or all of your teeth.
- Dental implants don't move while you're eating or speaking.
- Dental implants can last a lifetime.
Questions, or Concerns:
If you have more questions or concerns about dental implants, call your dentists in Cedar Rapids, IA Dr. Chris Haganman, Dr. Brad Stovie, and Dr. Shannon Hingst, at (319) 365-0534.